122º 30' 06" W 48º44' 55"N
Volume 33 Number 8
August 2017 issue:
Download this issue as a PDF.
The Next Potluck Meeting is August 8 at 6:00
Summer meetings do not have speakers. Outdoor BBQs will be available so bring something to BBQ and a side dish to share.
I just touched down in Bellingham after more than a week bumming around Whidbey Island on “das boot”. Attended my (former) company’s annual party in Langley, a three day event with 25 employees in attendance. A great deal of Halibut, Salmon and Dungeness was consumed washed down with a fair share of wine (we lost count on the number of bottles). In the afternoons, I had the opportunity to race Matt’s 32ft. Schooner. The winner would depend on whom you ask.
Heading north, I lost my crew in La Conner (these people who must work on Monday’s, I mean really!) There are worse places to be crewless for a couple days, eh?
Amanda returns from her conference (in Wichita?) and family visits this week, so we will be here for the CBC’s 10 year anniversary, and the August 12 sail on the bay.
(If you haven’t signed up yet…..I’ll be calling you next). We will then be off to France for awhile. If we don’t see you in the next couple weeks, have a good cruising/sailing summer and please….keep an eye on my boat.*
* Just so’s you know, we’ve installed cameras to catch those who would punk the Commodore’s boat!!!
All CYC members! Mark your calendar
Saturday, August 12
Experience Sailing on Bellingham Bay--August 12th
Hosted by the Community Boating Center and the Corinthian Yacht Club Bellingham
The CYC will join CBC in hosting this event again this year.
The CYC will promote the event as a cruise.
The Boating Center has received a grant to advertise and promote the event as:
“Experience Sailing on Bellingham Bay”
What makes Bellingham unique? The water. What better way to promote our club and the Boating Center then by reaching out to our community and offer a sailing experience to neophytes or those who are simply between boats.
I have volunteered my boat in past years and observed that the attendees I have given rides have been uniformly thrilled, excited and appreciative of the experience.
The Community Boating Center will provide:
- Insurance umbrella for all attendees (participants will sign a waiver form).
- Liability insurance for all our boats
- Life preservers for all participants
- Ferry participants to and from our boats
- Promotion and advertising
We Corinthians Provide the experience:
- We meet in Fairhaven 10:30- 12 noon (Skippers may determine their own timeframe)
- Skippers will predetermine crew size (from 2- 6 participants).
- Skippers will provide 2 to 3 hour cruises
- Ideally, each boat to provide 2 sailings
- Any extras (i.e. appetizers, beverages) are up to the skipper. (Grog upon request, keelhauling is frowned upon).
The plan: we finish our cruises about 4:30 to 5pm and return to gate 9 where we will then pull out the barbi and potluck on the dock.
I would like to have the BBQ open to all employees of the Boating Center. They may join us after closing up the shop or perhaps return sail with us to gate 9?
Questions and /or sign up with me,
360 815 3980