There will be no July meeting.
June 22 Update
San Juan County Parks, San Juan CO. Health Dept, WA State Parks, Blakely Island Marina
San Juan County remains in Phase 2 although an update is expected this week about when and if the County will open to Phase 3. The earliest possible opening would be around July 1, according to Kyle Dodd, Environmental Services Manager, San Juan Island County. Health Department.
Meanwhile, Phase 2 recommendations remain in place with some exceptions. Here is a recap:
Facemasks are mandatory in all businesses
- Social distancing in all settings
- Try to provision your boat before you arrive
- Marinas in all ferry-served islands are open for moorage at 50% capacity.
- At Roche Harbor Marina, employees are handling dock lines. Pump-out is available. Restaurants are open for outdoor seating and limited indoor seating. The pool will not open this season. A fireworks display is planned for the 4th of July. (Source: Allison Church, Roche Harbor Resort Reservations Manager)
- Friday Harbor Marine is operating at 50% capacity
San Juan County Parks
County-run parks are open for day use only. Sanitation facilities may not be open. Visitors are expected to bring their own toilet paper, hand sanitizer etc. A message from their website, accessed June 22: " For mainland folks contemplating a visit to the San Juans during this pandemic, including day trips, please do not! This is not the time to risk further spread of this disease. The health and safety of our island communities is our highest priority. The request is based on San Juan County Health officials' recommendations and Washington State Governor Jay Inslee's statewide order for everyone to stay home. As of May 23, San Juan County is in Phase 2, and only ESSENTIAL travel to the Islands is allowed until the County enters Phase 3."
Washington State Parks
Facilities are open for boaters with some exceptions:
- Sucia: Water in Fossil Bay only
- Stuart: No water this season
- James: No water this season
- Jones; No water this season
Blakely Island Marina website states they are open with all their usual services available.
2020 Race Results are being posted
Results from the 2029 CYC Thursday night racing series are posted at:
Hove to for COVID-19!
As you are all aware, the Corona Virus pandemic is affecting sailors and landlubbers alike across the globe.
In order to protect our membership and the wider Bellingham community, your CYC board has cancelled or postponed all scheduled trainings and events through April 2020 or until health experts and officials lift restrictions on non-essential gatherings. This includes our annual dance to benefit the Community Boating Center, our March and April potlucks, and the start of the racing season. CYC board meetings are being held via videoconferencing.
The printing and delivery of our annual roster and membership cards may be delayed because of the public health emergency, but our monthly newsletter will continue as long as our volunteer officers remain healthy. Look for the Homeport Newsletter in your email box and on this website.
In effect, we are hove to until further notice.
The health and wellbeing of our members remains our top priority. While some of you may wish to go sailing, please note that all marinas, parks and ports in the San Juan Islands have been ordered closed and many marine-related businesses are being closed.
Please stay 1 fathom away from others if you must go outdoors and consult the Whatcom County Health Department for updates on public health recommendations, guidelines and orders.
(Updated March 26, 2020)
2020 Annual Dance
Our Annual dance is postponed until October.
Hosting A CYC Cruise:
First and foremost you must select a cruise that sparks your interest, whether a favorite destination to share with other CYC members or a location that you have always wanted to visit but until now have not done so. Second, you determine dates that suit your schedule. Third, you decide what activities, if any, you wish to explore such as hiking, dining, shopping, beach combing, etc. and whether or not there will be any pot lucks or BBQs. Once these tasks are decided you can send an email to all members by sending it to the cruise chair and/or webmaster who will forward it to the membership. Then you coordinate the trip with members so that you have a destination, phone numbers, boat names (radio contact), MMSI numbers, and any other necessities. Then you sail together or converge at your planned destination and have a wonderful time exploring the area!
Photographs and a paragraph or two in the next newsletter are always a welcome addition. Please remember that your back yard (San Juan and Gulf Islands) contains some of the best cruising grounds in the world. Get out there and enjoy your boat and your fellow CYC members. Valuable information about local cruising can be found in San Juan Islands, a Boater's Guidebook by Shawn Breeding and Heather Bansmer, 2013.
Contact your Cruise Chairperson for any additional information: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Good cruise destinations:
- Aleck Bay, Lopez Island (A)
- Clark Island (M)
- Deer Harbor, Orcas Island (A/D)
- Eagle Harbor, Cypress Island (M)
- Garrison Bay, San Juan Island (A)
- Lighted Boat Dock Party, Squalicum (D)
- Lummi Island (A)
- Obstruction Pass Park (A/M)
- Pleasant Cove, Chuckanut Bay (A)
- Prevost Harbor, Stuart Island (A/D)
- Rosario Resort, Orcas Island (D),
- Round the County (M)
- “Thelma and Louise” women’s cruise
- Vendovi Island (D)
- West Sound, Orcas Island (R/D/A) Winter Cove, Saturna Island (A)
- Whirlwind Cruise: Jones Island, Deer Harbor-West Sound (A/D)
- Other options: you can choose your own destination! All in the Gulf Islands (one week to 10 days)
- Port Browning:Port of entry and provisioning (A/D)
- Montague Harbor (A/D)
- Wallace Island (A/D)
- Pirates Cove, De Courcy Island (A)
- Ganges, Salt Spring Island (A/D)
- Portland Island, North Cove (A)
A = Anchor
D= Dock or Marina
M= Mooring buoy
R = reciprocal
Cruising schedule and other CYC events are listed on the CYC Google Calendar, which is updated periodically. You can subscribe to the CYC Google Calendar on your computer or smart phone or see the Events & Cruises page.
11 JUL 2020
Problems? Notify the Webmeister
Our mailing address is P. O. Box 101, Bellingham, WA 98227
Find us on Facebook
[Corinthian Yacht Club Bellingham] [Meeting Information] [Cruising/Events] [Racing] [Newsletter] [Membership] [Reciprocal Clubs] [Education] [Links/Resources]